REGISTRATION IS OPEN!
CARFAC AGM: Building your career, June 3-4 2017
CARFAC National and Visual Artists Alberta-CARFAC welcome artists to Edmonton June 2 to 4, for our 2017 National AGM and Conference.
Most visual artists are self-employed and encounter great challenges as they attempt to succeed creatively and economically. At CARFAC, we are committed to providing artists with resources and tools to help them thrive. Under the banner of Building Your Career, the conference will examine ways that visual artists can develop and advance their careers.
Conference events include the CARFAC National AGM, four professional development presentations, an award ceremony, several exhibition receptions and tours, and other social networking opportunities. All artists are welcome!
Please Note: This year’s event will not include simultaneous translation. Conference materials will be presented in English and French, and bilingual staff and board members will be available to field questions and provide assistance in your language of choice.
Friday, June 2nd
Welcome reception, progressive evening open to all registered. Please RSVP to email@example.com by Wednesday May 31st if you are planning to attend this Friday progressive reception at Visual Arts Alberta – CARFAC and the tour of SNAP Gallery.
- 8:30pm and 9:30pm – Reception at Visual Arts Alberta –CARFAC , 10215 112 St NW, Edmonton, AB
- 9:30pm and 10:30pm – Tour of SNAP Gallery, 10123 – 121 Street, Edmonton, AB
Saturday, June 3rd
All daytime events on Saturday are being held in the CN Theatre, MacEwan University, Building 5, room 142, 10460 – 105 St NW, Edmonton, AB
All members of CARFAC (including Visual Arts Alberta-CARFAC) are invited and encouraged to attend. If you’re not a member yet, now’s the time to join! Take this opportunity to find out more about our major projects and initiatives.
- 8:45 – 9:30 am – Conference Registration
- 9:30 – 10:00 am – Opening remarks and Welcome to Treaty 6
- 10:00 – 11:00 am – CARFAC National AGM
- 11:15 am – 12:00 pm – Presentation of CARFAC’s National campaigns
- 12:00 – 1:30 pm – Lunch*
* Please note that the purchasing of boxed lunch closed on May 26th.
- 1:30 – 3:30 pm – Building Your Career presentations:
Kristian Clarke, Senior Projects Manager at Canadian Actors Equity Association, will speak about how professional organizations like CAEA and CARFAC enable artists to become more professional in their practice, and the tools that a professional association can provide that can empower artists in building their career.
Deborah Carruthers and Paddy Lamb, co-presidents of CARCC Copyright Visual Arts, will speak about the importance of collective copyright management, how copyright and royalties play a part in the visual artist’s practice, and the importance of copyright protection and intellectual property in the digital age.
Michelle Schultz, Director of dc3 Art Projects, will speak from the business perspective about new models (outside the public gallery, artist-run centre, and commercial gallery model) for artists to utilize in building their career.
Jennifer Bowen Allen is a Dene emerging curator and arts administrator from Whitehorse, currently living in Lethbridge. She will speak about the challenges faced and opportunities available to artists living in the north, as they build their careers.
- 3:30 – 4:30 pm – Closing remarks and refreshments
- 7:00 pm – Exhibition reception and award ceremony at Latitude 53, 10242 106 St NW, Edmonton, AB
- 7:15 and 7:45 – CARFAC presents its National Visual Arts Advocate Award, and Visual Arts Alberta-CARFAC will present an artist with an honorary Lifetime Membership.
We close the day with a visit to Latitude 53 artist-run-centre, to view the Trumpet exhibition, which examines how artists use art to question new political realities (locally, nationally, internationally) and who have a unique perspective that is under-represented or unrecognized within current exhibition and curatorial practices.
Sunday, June 4th
- 11:00am – 1:00pm – Tour of Dc3 Art Projects, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, 10567 111 St NW, Edmonton, AB
- 2:00 – 4:00 pm – Visit the Art Gallery of Alberta, 2 Sir Winston Churchill Square, Edmonton, AB
- Tours will be available, as well as free entry for Visual Arts Alberta-CARFAC, CARFAC, and RAAV members!
This event is available free of charge to all current members of Visual Arts Alberta-CARFAC, CARFAC, and RAAV. Yet another great reason to join or renew!
For non-members, the registration fee is $20.
*Please note: Participants will be responsible for arranging their own travel, accommodations and meals. Information is included below on some of the options available. The boxed lunch option will only be available on Saturday for any participant who wishes to purchase it. Please order by May 26th to ensure there is adequate availability.
- MacEwan University Residence
- Days Inn Edmonton Downtown
- Coast Hotel
- Canterra Suites Apartment Hotel
- Airbnb Be sure to read their safety tips before booking.
There are several options for transportation to and from the airport:
Edmonton Transit System’s (ETS) Route 747 is an express bus service that runs every half hour during peak hours between EIA and the Century Park bus and LRT station, which connects to MacEwan University. This bus service runs every day of the week starting at 4:10 am from Century Park and 4:34 am from EIA. Pick-up at the airport is outside Door 8, Arrivals Level (between Tim Horton’s and the Mac’s convenience store). The METRO Line LRT (labeled NAIT on the trains) will take people to MacEwan University Station. The CAPITAL Line also goes downtown but not to MacEwan University.
- One-way trip: $5 cash paid to driver or 2 adult ETS tickets, plus $3.25 per adult for the LRT.
Airport Shuttle, one-way trip: $18 Roundtrip: $30:
The Edmonton Skyshuttle is a cost-effective and convenient way to travel between Edmonton International Airport and various locations in Edmonton. The Skyshuttle pick-up point is centrally located on the Arrivals Level (next to door #7). The Shuttle stops at MacEwan University residence. The Skyshuttle only stops at hotels when service has been requested. Rides must be booked in advance online or by phone 780-465-8515. The average trip takes from one hour to one hour and twenty minutes, depending on road conditions, ridership volumes, and point of embarkation.
Edmonton International Airport is serviced by several taxi companies. Flat rates for transportation from EIA to downtown Edmonton by taxi are available and cheaper if you ask for it when booking.
- Co-op Taxi Line: 780 425 2525
- 24-7 Taxi Line: 780 442 4444
- Airport Taxi Service: 780 890 7070
- Greater Edmonton Taxi Service:
(Barrel, Checker, Prestige, Yellow): 780 462 3456
Thank you to our sponsors
The boxed lunch option is available for $12. Please place your order by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 26 to ensure availability. Boxed lunches include:
- Choice of Deluxe Sandwich or Wrap (Tuna, Ham, Roast Beef, Turkey, or Grilled veggie with hummus and feta)
- Whole Fruit
- Two Home Baked Cookies
- Choice of Soft Drink, Juice or Bottled Water
Advocacy Award Call for Nominations
To coincide with our national conference Building Your Career held in Edmonton, CARFAC seeks to honour a professional artist from Alberta, who has made a significant contribution as an advocate for the Canadian visual arts community. This contribution may be national or regional in scope, and is a wonderful opportunity for a local arts advocate to gain national recognition and thanks for their work.
Call for New Board Members
CARFAC National is looking for new board members, to be elected at our AGM. CARFAC Members are asked to put forward names of individuals who would make good board members, to be considered by our Nominating Committee.
Looking forward to June!