On January 24 Winnipeg MP Pat Martin introduced a parliamentary motion to exempt artists from paying taxes on their first $50,000 of income. CARFAC has long advocated for tax reform measures that take into account the unpredictable nature of visual artists’ income. Exempting $50,000 worth of income annually allows artists to plan for slow years when they may earn little or nothing and good years when their work is “hot”.
Artists in Quebec and Ireland already benefit from tax exemptions which have stimulated their creative communities and improved the economic situation of artists. The Canadian Conference of the Arts and a review of the Status of the Artist Act have also recommended a tax exemption for artists.
- Tell your Member of Parliament that you would like them to support this motion.
- Find you MP’s email address
- Don’t forget to cc Josée Verner, Steven Harper and Pat Martin.
- Share this page with your friends on Facebook.
- Pat Martin’s motion
- Tax exemption backgrounder
- Visual Artists Ireland
- CCA Platform (see recommendation 3)