Have a legal question? There are several clinics across Canada where artists can get affordable legal information. Here are the ones we worked with:
- Artists’ Legal Advice Services (Toronto)
- Artists’ Legal Outreach (Vancouver)
- Artists’ Legal Services Ottawa
- Visual Artists’ Legal Clinic of Ontario (for CARFAC Ontario members)
- Nova Scotia Artists Legal Information Society
- L. Kerry Vickar Business Law Clinic (Manitoba)
- IntegralOrg (for Nonprofits) (Alberta)
In 2020, the Pacific Legal Education and Outreach (PLEO) Society produced a report, Now More Than Ever: Towards a National Network of Legal Clinics for the Arts, a significant new research on the multitude of legal challenges facing individuals working in the Canadian arts sector. As a result, the National Network of Legal Clinics for the Arts is a proposed system of connected regional legal hubs for artists and arts organizations that includes existing Canadian pro-bono legal clinics.
CARFAC also has a list of resources for resolving legal problems in all provinces. Members can email us for referrals. We can also link members to other legal resources and services – just send us information about your specific issue.